History

(as told by Past Scoutmaster Richard Jones)

Our Troop 533 today, was formed in the spring of 1927, consisting of 8 boys and 1 Scoutmaster. The original sponsor was the Munster Chamber of Commerce and they met in the basement of the Munster Public School (Lanier School). In 1939, The Munster Lions agreed to become our sponsor and they still are today. At the outbreak of WWII, the troop became heavily involved in the war effort. Late in the 1950’s, our troop number was changed to 133. In 1965, the troop’s number was changed again, to our current Troop Number 533.

The troop brought other scouting units to Munster over the years. With the dawn of Cub Scouting Pack 33, later 533 was formed with branches sprouting to add pack 236 and 2361. Explorer Post 33 was formed and later became 533.

Troop 533 has flourished because of enthusiastic scouts and dedicated adult leadership. These individuals have unselfishly lead us to the present.


by