Father and Son Sample Menu
CRACKER BARREL – Nachos
- Heat large can cheese sauce in pot in double boiler.
- Serve with tortilla chips, hot sauce, jalapenos.
BREAKFAST – Biscuits & Gravy
- Setup coffee the night before.
- Turn on ovens early to preheat.
- Brown large tube pork sausage and 2 tubes of hot pork sausage broken up and fully cooked.
- Add 2 pounds of butter to a very large pot and melt.
- Add 1.5 pounds of flour to above to make a thick roux.
- Cook roux for 5 minutes being careful not to burn.
- Add 0.5 gal of milk at a time. Let the mixture thicken, then add another 0.5 gal of milk. Important to stir regularly. Should use 3 gallons in total. This step takes a long time so start early if you want to eat early. Otherwise it will be brunch instead of breakfast. Be very careful not to burn the mixture.
- To season use about 1/3 jar of chicken base and crazy salt to taste. Don’t add either all at once, work your way up to it.
- When gravy boils it is a thick as it will get so this is when you decide if you need more milk to thin.
- To cook biscuits. line sheet pan with parchment or aluminum foil sprayed with cooking oil. Put an inverted pan on oven shelf to retard burning the bottom of biscuits. Put pan full of biscuits in oven and cook according to directions.
BREAKFAST – Pancakes & Sausage
- Line sheet pans with parchment paper and make three rows of sausage links. Cook in 350 DEGF oven for about 30 to 45 minutes. Roll after 20 minutes.
- Make pancakes according to package directions.
- Slice fresh Strawberries and add to canned strawberry sauce for pancake topping.
LUNCH – Hot Dogs & Chili
- Heat large can of chili.
- Boil packages of hot dogs.
- Serve with cheese and chips.
DINNER – Fajitas
- In large pan put in 1 gallon of rice, 2 cans of V8, 1.25 gallons of water, 1 can tomatoes, you will need to chop tomatoes and use all the juice, 1/3 jar chicken base, mix all the above together, cover and cook for about 1 hour in 350 DEGF oven until liquid is absorbed.
- Heat re-fried beans in aluminum throw away pan, cover with plastic wrap then foil. This is fine as if foil touches the beans there is a reaction that is bad.
- Saute peppers and onions on grill
- Grill steak and chicken outside. Slice right before serving.
- Heat taco meat in pan on stove. It’s already cooked, just needs to be heated.
- Warm tortillas on grill right before serving.
Desert – Brownies
- Bake brownies early Saturday afternoon. Each box makes 1 sheet pan. Use warm water when mixing. Follow directions for baking time and temperature.
- Allow brownies to cool before adding frosting or apply caramel topping just before serving.